DIY Mini Taffy Machine – revisited 2016

So lately in 2016 (and quite a bit today) i’ve taken a look at revisiting my original DIY Taffy Pulling Machine from 2012. There was a lot of interest in the 2012 version, and i did try to provide enough information and detail in open source fashion for others to build their own, but i guess things just didn’t work out the best for that to happen.

0c6556e03d732523e2476570beb6ad49_preview_featured

The biggest reason i revisited it is because it just didn’t quite feel finished, and quite frankly those big gears posed a pinching hazard. Plus many people didn’t know where to get their own. So in an effort to solve both problems in one i decided to make internal gears, but to do that successfully i had to shrink them down. In the process i decided it was time to make the gears 3D-printable thereby speeding up my own design process, but also opening up this design to a whole new set of people that otherwise would not be able to make one.

31d4594a9cacf2c13bfd4b548d4edb2e_preview_featured

I hereby am pleased to announce the re-releasing of my Mini Taffy Machine as an Open Source Hardware project. I have improved the CAD files and PDF assembly drawings with good blueprint title blocks (a skill i obtained from my recent machining courses this semester). So i hope you all enjoy and i look forward to seeing more of these in the wild and new iterations and modifications that people come up with!! (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659568)

51b4ee7b0222c4e7954674a361709cd1_preview_featured

e4aabb69c5551581f3feb43e2a1db620_preview_featured

d804cd81440521e6a89c3eea1aeb5c2c_preview_featured

DIY Taffy Machine – first test

EDIT 11-24-16: i have now revisited this project. You can read about it here and also find a link to updated design files: https://keen101.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/diy-mini-taffy-machine-revisited-2016/

Okay, so i may actually be finally getting back into hardware based projects. It’s been quite awhile hasn’t it. Well, i think i did need a break from it for awhile, but for the most part i think my tinkering spirit is back! I hereby present my latest project. My homemade DIY taffy puller machine!

Overall it’s actually a fairly simple design. I based some of it off of the one from MAKE magazine, and some off of another design posted on youtube and on the Internet. But my design is much simpler and smaller than those other two designs, and mine also requires less parts. In fact my design doesn’t even need the two gears in the front. In fact i have two motors that i could put on it if i ran one backwards.

I actually managed to draft some of it in SoldWorks which i think is petty cool, especially considering that I’m not interested in majoring in Engineering and have little interest in learning to draft either.

The design specs have been posted to my website:

http://biolumo.com/projects/taffy_machine.html

Here are some of the files as well (updated 9-26-14):

output
Gear designed in Inkscape

output

Taffy_Machine_BOM

bar3_round – Sheet3

gear – Sheet1

bar3_round – Sheet2 arm1_round – Sheet2 bar3_round – Sheet1 arm1_round – Sheet1

EDIT 11-24-16: i have now revisited this project. You can read about it here and also find a link to updated design files: https://keen101.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/diy-mini-taffy-machine-revisited-2016/